A three-year-old boy died
after a television set fell on him at his grandparents' home in Pulinathope on
Thursday. The boy had pulled an electric wire, resulting in the TV falling down,
crashing on to his head, police said.
Basin Bridge police, who have registered a case of the death,
identified the deceased as Kishore Balakrishnan, who was residing in TNHB 26th
Block, Kesava Pillai Park in Pulianthope.
According to Thirumal, Kishore's uncle, the child had pulled the
TV wire while playing inside the house. “Around 11 a.m. on Thursday Kishore was
playing. The fat 21-inch TV set was placed on a stand with wheels that were
weak. Suddenly, the wire gave way throwing him to the floor and the TV fell on
him,” he said.
The boy suffered injuries on his head and chest and was rushed
to the Government Children's Hospital in Egmore by his relatives and neighbours.
“As the head injury was severe, the hospital referred Kishore to the GH. We took
him there immediately and he underwent treatment,” Mr. Thirumal added. However,
at 6.p.m. on Thursday, Kishore succumbed to injuries.
A post-mortem was conducted and the body was handed over to his
parents Balakrishnan and Sarala on Friday afternoon. The couple has a
one-year-old daughter named Yamuna.
Mr. Balakrishnan who was working in a well-known automobile
spare parts manufacturing firm in Chennai, quit his job two years ago after he
met with a road accident that left him paralysed on one side. Unable to make
ends meet, he moved in to his father-in-law's house some months ago, police